Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lovely Home

I know some people have really strange ideas of what their home should look like, but how about living in a renovated church? I have to be honest - I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable there because churches, especially old ones, are somehow mystical and powerful and definitely not something I associate with my living room. But I admit it - it really is an interesting idea and well, that definitely would make your home unique.

I'm totally digging this bathroom. I like the lots of light coming from the window without taking away the feeling of privacy.

I love the use of wood and stone. You can hardly find a place that is constructed the way a church is. It really makes your home unique and adds so much character.

The use of simple wooden furniture definitely makes you feel the building stronger.

The living area is probably the only space I don't like. Having very high ceilings can be tricky and the proportions here are all wrong I think - the furniture looks so tiny and somehow incomplete while the room itself is giant which doesn't help you feel cozy. Perhaps a larger sofa, even a built in one would look better and a huge chandelier hanging low to shorten the distance to the ceiling.


What are you thoughts? Would you ever live in a house like this? I am really curious.

photos via SwipeLife

9 comments:

Carolina said...

I loved the bathroom and the entry and the halls...
But the dinning room and the living room are not that cozy and they really give you the sensation you are IN a church... (where is not really a place to relax and enjoy...)
Maybe some other kind of decoration and it could be more inviting...

Still didn't make up my mind...

lovely blog btw...
xx,
A.

xavia said...

looks scary

alli michelle said...

This is so peculiar! I can't decide if I like it or not either. They made it look very beautiful and intriguing, but I agree that it would be a little uncomfortable because of the history of the place. Interesting post.

inspireinspire said...

Gosh! Can you imagine having dinner in that room?!

The kitchen and bedroom look really modern and lovely, which reminds me- I once viewed a room to rent in a renovated church and it was really stunning and all in good taste.

But those stained-glass windows make it a bit too 'place of worship' for me...

oh, hello friend. said...

WOW!!!!!! this is intense! lol. it seems cool but at the same time, strange to live in a church! but i love what they did with it... they seemed to do a good job making it cozy, even though it's.. a CHURCH! hehe. love the post. glad you're back ;)

xo. danni

jacqueline said...

Oh my these are gorgeous home! I totally LOVE the windows in the bathroom and the bedroom tho im not sure if my fiance will fancy those windows style. :) Im dreaming of my dream home now~~ :D Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

Callie Grayson said...

love the bathroom!!
I agree with you about the living room, the furniture needs to be bigger scale and i think a different style.

At my university, they made the old church into our library which worked

Susan said...

hmmm... very peculiar. i'm conflicted. but, regardless, i'm right with you about the living room. they got the proportions all wrong. what they need to do is go more "hotel" in their planning of that room and separate it into smaller spaces. two seating areas, instead of one concentrated one, etc. now i've got to go and check out the source of this post!

Kristin said...

While I think it's gorgeous to look at, I feel like it might be a bit odd to live in.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin