Monday, January 18, 2010

Projects: Housing Building

Here is the last one for this semester. The whole project was a provocation to the small number of parks and places for children to play in our city. I once came across a rather ironical article that suggested we begun to grow plants vertically in order to compensate it. And this is exactly what I did. I put the parking lot underground because I think it is much more important to have plants rather than cars in a backyard. I wanted to create a micro environment where mothers could leave their kids to play without fear because although the space appears open it is surrounded by buildings and personal enough to be treated like a backyard. I think it is very important to give people who live in a same building the opportunity to meet and communicate. It is really sad that most people (including myself) don't know their neighbors.

The whole inner space is treated like a sea of greenery and I hope that if you step outside on your balcony you would feel like standing on a pier with all those plants around you.

The other facades - the ones facing the street, are much more sterile and minimalistic because people usually want to be away from its noise and in a way separate themselves from the world outside, forming a more cozy, personal space. That, of course, doesn't mean that they should build a thick wall around them. Therefore the whole "solid block" is lifted above the ground allowing the greenery from the inside to spill.

Whew! It was a whole torture trying to explain all that in English! Hope you got the main idea. I would love to hear your thoughts as I believe these are all important issues and as we all live in housing buildings we all should be able to discuss their problems.

5 comments:

Misplaced Country Girl said...

What a brilliant concept! I have never seen anything like this and it makes so much sense. You are so right about planting vertically. Again, brilliant! It is just beautiful. It has a very calm and serene feeling to it.

Cathy said...

Hi, Iva! Great concept on the incorporation of green space into an urban setting. I agree with the separation of street and living space -- the street view for business and commuters and the green space representing families and recreation, and an opportunity to recharge your batteries for the coming work day.

I like the green going up the walls. It adds to that separateness and, while inside the green space, intensifies the feeling of park and countryside. Good job! Looking forward to seeing more of your projects!

Rachel Follett said...

Your translation is perfect and wowsa on your 3d modeling! Love the concept. What program do you use? Its really good! I use 3ds max and I wish I had more big 3d modeling jobs. I love working on the architecture and concepts. Ah I miss it. How exciting for you!

Rachel Follett said...

I also taught myself the program but I am not nearly where you are. You can see my amateur stuff at http://www.coroflot.com/rachelfollett :)

I ended up taking one class in it and I ended up tutoring everyone so I recommend starting at a higher level class to start. I wish my school offered more advanced classes in it. Your work is really good and I dont know if you even need to take classes in it to be honest. I cant wait to see more!

Melissa Y. Allam said...

You did a great job explaining it. Since your blog is in English I never even thought that it might not be your first language. You did an awesome job on this one too. I love the concept of the greenery in the courtyard area of the building and leaving the bottom open so you don't feel like you are in a hole.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin