Monday, January 4, 2010

Recipe

Did everyone have a fabulous first weekend of this year? Yes? Okay then! I had a pretty busy one but I managed to get up early on Sunday and make my grandma's famous muffins. Well, these aren't exactly muffins but this is the closest word I can think of in English. I remember how she used to make these for dinner and we ate them all in no time even though there was enough to feed a small army. The baking form in the picture is my Christmas gift from her so I thought making these muffins was just perfect to try it out. Here is the recipe in case you feel like making a lovely breakfast.

Ingredients:
400g yogurt (I use natural Bulgarian yogurt, no sugar or flavor, you might be able to find it in a store where they have Greek products, since theirs is pretty much the same, or just use the one you have)
3 tbsp oil or melted butter
2 tsp baking soda
about 1 kg plain flour
a pinch of salt
1 teacup of feta cheese

Mix all of the ingredients except the cheese and knead dough. Make balls a bit smaller than a fist and put a piece of the cheese inside each one. Put in a slightly oiled form and bake for about 20 minutes at 200 C. Easy, right?

I experimented and put spinach in some of the muffins but I think I like the original recipe better. I am pretty sure you can come up with some great additions and I'd love to know if you tried the recipe.

p.s. This goes great with tomato juice!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Misplaced Country Girl said...

I saw these yesterday and wanted to make them. We are supposed to have a big blizzard where I live so I went to the store to stock up and forgot to get the stuff for these. I'm so mad! I love feta cheese and I couldn't wait to make them. Guess it will have to wait until next week now. Sigh!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin