Monday, March 1, 2010

March + DIY

It's a new month already. The 1st of March is also kind of a holiday in my country - on this day everyone gives their friends and family the so called "martenitsa" which they should wear until the spring comes. The "martenitsa" is white and red which has its meaning and you can read more about it here (I highly recommend it because it is a really fun and one of a kind tradition). There are different kinds - some are worn like brooches while others are tied around the wrist. It's funny really because the second one looks very much like what you call baker's twine. I couldn't find any information about how or where the baker's twine first was used so if anyone knows, please share.

Anyway, since I know everyone uses baker's twine I thought I'd share a very short tutorial how to make some yourself. I know it from my grandmother - we used to make martenitsa when I was a kid so it works best if there are two people and the twine itself is not too long (let's say up to 1 meter).

Instructions:
1. Tie the two pieces of yarn together (one white and another one red or whatever colors you'd prefer)
2. Get one of the ends and give the other one to a friend and get as far from one another as you can leaving the knot between you two. Start twisting the yarn clockwise (it doesn't really matter which side as long as you both use the same one) until it is all very well twisted. If you don't have someone to help you, you can always tie the other end somewhere and twist in only one direction but the other way is faster.
3. Without letting go get the other end and hold them together. Then get the knot in your other hand and release the ends.

Congratulations, you have just made your own baker's twine! It's really fun and easy (kids do it at school every year). If you are experiencing difficulties or have questions just ask - I'd be happy to help!

p.s. If you don't feel crafty you can always get some twine from Nice Package (photo above is from their site) or Etsy.

p.s. If you'd like to celebrate along with me, just cut some backer's twine and tie it around your wrist - that should keep you healthy all year long (or at least that's what they say:)

1 comment:

ruthie said...

Zdrasti Iva! and happy belated Chestita Marta! I'm spanish but I lived in Sofia for several years.I'm wearing my martenitsa thanks to a nice bulgarian friend that sent me one, actually she does it every year :-))
Your blog+photos are beautiful and brings nice memories of BG.
Keep up the good work!!
ciao

Blog Widget by LinkWithin