Thursday, July 4, 2013

Gluten-free and Dairy-free Banana Bread Cupcakes with Berries and Coconut

I had a few bananas left in my fridge the other day and I was craving cupcakes, so this is what came out of my kitchen. The cupcakes turned out really, really yummy and my boyfriend loved them as well - he ate four in one go before I could stop him! Haha.
And the best part is that these are gluten-free and if you skip the frosting - dairy free too! Who says that cupcakes can't be guilt-free?


My recipe for gluten-free and dairy-free banana bread cupcakes with berries and coconut. Gorgeous handmade mug from Raklata.


Ingredients (makes about 12 cupcakes):
  • 1 cup chickpeas flour
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour (or shredded coconut)
  • 1/2 cup rose hip flour (I believe you can substitute for almond flour)
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut butter
  • 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1 egg
  • 100g berry jam
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • vanilla extract
For the frosting:
  • 200g cream cheese (I used one pack of Philadelphia cream cheese)
  • 4 tbsp coconut cream (that has been hardened in the fridge overnight)
  • 100g berry jam
Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a food processor. Do not try the batter - it will taste disgusting because of the raw chickpeas! But it will change taste when baked. I am speaking from experience, haha. 
Pour in cupcake form (with cupcake liners) and bake in an oven  heated at 200°C. Check if cupcakes are ready by poking with a toothpick - if it comes out relatively clean - they are ready to be taken out of the oven.
Set aside and wait for them to completely cool before adding the frosting.

For the frosting:
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Put in the fridge until the mix hardens a bit and then spread on each cupcake. Keep in mind that coconut cream melts easily, so I would suggest adding the frosting right before serving.


My recipe for gluten-free and dairy-free banana bread cupcakes with berries and coconut.


I hope you enjoy this easy, healthy-ish recipe and please, let me know if you make it! xo 

p.s. The beautiful mug with hand-painted flowers I got from Raklata at Etsy Craft Party a couple of weeks ago. Not only is it one of a kind, but it's also made by a really sweet lady. You can find her work here.

(Photos: Iva Yaneva for Iva Y)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin